Friday, March 23, 2007

Intimacy. Computers.

The thing about this blog is, how intimate do I want to get? This is basically a public forum, so a reserved approach is appropriate, but that leaves out a lot of fun/interesting/important stuff.

I am way deep in Unix land these days, lifting out mostly just to do some parenting, visit with the neighbors, and eat not-so-very-well. I'm making some computer-space to look at my life, but am I doing it to look at my life, or using a look-at-my-life idea to fuel my computering? You're probably confused by that last sentence. Not enough context. I really don't like to think of computer programming and software and interfaces as mechanistic tools. I'm there to explore a world of relationship, form, action/reaction, personality, ethos. So when I'm there I'm understanding, recognizing, judging, shaping, reshaping, moving, dialoguing. I encounter the ghosts of countless other programmers, and leave my own shades for others to love, hate, fear, be amused by. This romanticized computer world isn't just fanciful. Without this kind of relationship with the machines, they will become more and more disconnected from humanity, more mechanistic, less caring. I'd forgotten that.

No comments: